Tomato Basil Soup
This comfy tomato soup is an ideal warmer for winters. Deliciously slow cooked for 7 long hours, the soup can well be stored in the freezer for a week easily.
Cooking time: 7 hours
- 4 cups tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup carrots finely shredded
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup butter melted
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, chili sauce and bay leaf to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours, until all the ingredients are blended together. The texture stays chunky. You may leave it that way if you like or you can also use a hand blender to blend it well into finer texture.
- Melt butter in a skillet and whisk in the flour. Gradually add in milk, whisking the mixture continuously. Do not allow lump formation. Set aside as it thickens.
- Add in the mixture to the soup around half an hour before you are about to serve the soup, along with the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook on low heat for half an hour before dishing out.
Add a spoonful of freshly whipped in the middle and serve with hot croutons.
Categories: Basil, Black Pepper, Butter, Carrot, Celery, Cheese, Chicken Broth, Christmas, Flour, Hot, Milk, Onion, Oregano, Salt, Soup & Stew, Tomatoes