Chicken Biryani – A South Asian Blend
Biryani is a spicy South-Asian rice dish cooked in meat, tomatoes and an aromatic blend of spices. It is traditionally cooked in lamb meat but chicken is also a great and widely preferred option. This mouthwatering platter will make you famous in your friends circle for making the best spicy rice blend ever.
Cooking time: 4 hours
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 lb chicken cut into pieces
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon all-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 medium onion, blended into paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 green chilies sliced
- Yellow food color
- 3-4 tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Marinate chicken with yogurt, salt, red chili, onion paste, turmeric, ginger and garlic. Mix in the tomatoes.
- Boil water in a pot and cook the rice till they are half cooked. Add in oil and salt. Make sure the rice does not overcook. Drain the water.
- Turn on the slow cooker and add the chicken marinade.
- Layer rice over the batter and cook on low heat for 3 hours.
- Uncover the pot and sprinkle garam masala and pinch of food color. Add green chilies, coriander and mint leaves too.
- Cook for another hour till the chicken is fully cooked and the rice is ready.
- Serve with salad or yogurt sauce.
Categories: Chicken, Chili powder, Coriander Leaves, Course, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chillies, Holiday, Hot, Indian, Indian all-spice powder, Main Dish, mint leaves, Onion, Salt, Tomatoes, Turmeric, vegetable oil, Yellow food color, Yogurt