Creamy Split Pea Soup
This is a creamy green soup recipe which is an ideal winter meal, and is best enjoyed with bite-sized croutons or baked corn bread. You may leave your soup grainy if you like the peas as you eat, or cook for longer for a smooth creamy texture. A dollop of fresh cream on top might add to your calorie count but makes the soup simply irresistible. A hot bowl of soup in cold nights is like a blessing and this green soup does not only looks yummy but tastes equally good.
Cooking time: 8-10 hours on low
- 3 cup dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 250 grams beef
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (1 quart)
- 2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare and cut the vegetables as per requirement
- Place ingredients in slow cooker and pour in water and broth.
- Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours until peas almost dissolve and beef is very tender.
- Debone the beef and discard the bay leaf.
- Now mash the peas to thicken to get a smooth texture.
- Serve with croutons or baked cornbread.
Categories: Bay leaf, Beef, Black Pepper, Carrot, Celery, Garlic, Hot, Onion, Parsley, Peas, Salt, Soup & Stew, Vegetables, water